Is there an age limit to be a driver?

No, there is no required age limit. We only require that a driver have a valid drivers license and car insurance.

Are we responsible to do oil changes?

No. Our Director of Fleet Management will ensure that all of your van’s routine maintenance is performed each month. He will coordinate a time that is either deconflicted with your schedule or will provide you with a spare van while maintenance is being performed on yours.

What is the MTBP ONCR benefit?

The Transportation Incentive Program (TIP) Outside the National Capital Region (ONCR) benefit is a Department of Defense (DOD) program whereby DOD provides transit passes and/or vouchers (fare media) to help reduce their daily contribution to traffic congestion and air pollution, as well as expand their commuting alternatives. – The TIP benefit is a personnel benefit (Object class 12.1 and 12.2) and must be provided to any qualified military member/civilian employee.

Who is and is not eligible for the MTBP subsidy?

Per Page 12 of the DoDI 1000.27, dated October 28, 2008:

  1. To be eligible to participate in the DoD MTPB, participants must:
    a. Use a QMOT as the primary mode of transportation to commute to and from work or to a
    designated telework center;
    b. Not be receiving mass transportation benefits from other sources;
    c. Not be in receipt of a parking subsidy; and
    d. Fall within one of four categories:

    1. DoD Active Component (AC) Military Service members.
    2. DoD Reserve Component (RC) Military Service members (including both Reservists
      and National Guard Members) who are on qualifying active duty. Eligible RC Service members
      on Active Duty for less than 30 days:
      (a) Must apply for the MTB in the same manner as is applicable to AC Service
      members in the same geographic area. Approved program enrollment is a prerequisite for any
      form of reimbursement under the MTBP.
      (b) May be denied fare media disbursement of MTB by DoD Component policy. In
      those cases where fare media is not disbursed to these members, DoD Component policy must
      allow for the MTB via reimbursement procedures.
    3. DoD Federal civilian employees, including Federal employees on part-time work
      schedules and paid interns.
    4. (4) DoD NAF personnel employed by a duly constituted DoD nonappropriated funded
      instrumentality (NAFI). To the extent Military Departments are authorized to provide
      appropriated fund support to NAFIs for military and civilian personnel under Table E4.T1 of
      Reference (h), the Departments may budget to include amounts for MTBs for supported
      categories of personnel.
  2. Personnel ineligible for participation in the DoD MTBP include:
    a. DoD civilian employees and military members who are named on a Federally subsidized
    parking permit. However, relinquishment of a Federally subsidized parking permit will allow
    the employee to apply for the MTBP.
    b. Van pool owners who are drivers or passengers of a for-profit van pool.
    c. Military member, civilian, and NAF employee van pool drivers riding at no cost or
    receiving compensation, monetary or non-monetary, for driving the van pool (except for those
    only receiving a reduced rate).
    d. DoD RC Service members who are drilling or training in an inactive duty for training
    e. Students or others who provide voluntary service.
    f. NAF-employed personnel whose salary is not funded by a duly constituted NAFI.
    g. Reserve Officer Training Corps students unless they are enlisted in a military branch and
    serving on active duty.
    h. DoD military retirees and DoD civilian retirees unless otherwise eligible.
    i. Military dependents unless otherwise eligible.
    j. Military members, and civilian and NAF employees who are receiving transportation
    benefits from other sources.
    k. Contractors.
    l. Intergovernmental Personnel Act employees (except those appointed to Federal positions
    or those who meet the definition of employees under 5. U.S.C. 2105), Foreign Exchange
    personnel, and personnel detailed to DoD from other Federal agencies, nongovernment
    organizations, private industry, and academic institutions.

Note: Reservists on active duty for more than 30 days are entitled to the same benefits, and are to apply for this benefit in the same manner as is applicable to members/employees in the same geographic area. Contractors, retirees, and/or military dependents are not eligible for this benefit. ROTC students are not eligible for this benefit unless enlisted in a military branch and considered “Active Duty.”

What kind of means of mass transportation can I use?

The following recognized mass transportation systems qualify for this benefit:
– Commuter Bus
– Commuter Train
– Subway/Light Rail
– Vanpool
– Ferry (walk-on, bicycle, and vanpool passengers only)

Please Note:  Carpools, motorcycles, airplanes, bicyclists, and/or walkers, solely utilizing any of these methods of transportation, do not qualify for this benefit. The TIP does not give money incentives to individuals whom:  telecommute, use available H.O.V. lanes, or use automatic toll collection passes such as EZ Pass or Speed Pass.

When are the application deadlines and when will I begin receiving benefits?

The LRS is required to send applications to the DOT by the 20th of each month. If your application is received by the 20th of this month, your Transerve Debit Card will arrive around the 15th of the following month. However, if your application is received on the 21st (or later), it will not be submitted until the 20th of the following month.

What are the rules and requirements for Vanpools?

Vanpools participating in the TIP must adhere to the guidelines stated in Internal Revenue Code (IRC) 26 Section 132(f).The vehicle used must be a highway vehicle with the capacity of at least six (6) adults, in addition to the driver—7 total (6 adult passengers + 1 driver).At least 80 percent of the expected mileage use of which can reasonably be expected to be—for purposes of transporting employees in connection with travel between their residences and their place of employment, and on trips during which the number of employees transported for such purposes is at least 1/2 (3) of the adult seating capacity of such vehicle (not including the driver). The vehicle may be owned and operated either by public transit authorities (commercial) or by a private vendor in the business of transporting persons for compensation or hire. A vanpool operated by public transit authorities must be registered with the local transit authority and be eligible to receive vouchers compatible to that local system. Vanpool owners who are drivers or passengers of a vanpool are not eligible to receive the TIP benefit. Federal employee vanpool drivers receiving compensation for driving the vanpool are not eligible to receive the TIP benefit—this includes drivers who are riding for free. For more information on IRS requirements for vanpool, please review IRC Section 132(f)(5)(A)(ii): 1E_Title_26-United_States_Code_Federal_Regulations-Internal_Revenue_Code_Section_132(f).doc (DOC, 34 KB)

Is there a minimum usage requirement for the benefit?

The established minimum usage rate guideline is 10 days per month or 50% of the days worked per month to qualify for this benefit. All participants must accurately claim an amount that reflects their usage rate—failure to do so will result in fraudulent certification on the application and is subject to criminal prosecution.

What if I go TDY?

TIP ONCR participants on TDY for two (2) weeks or longer are not eligible to claim the transit subsidy for the period of their TAD/TDY. This policy also applies to civilian employees/military members who are assigned no-cost orders. The reasons for this policy position are as follows:
– Personnel on TAD/TDY are eligible to seek reimbursement for any transport costs incurred for official transport to and from the place of work in
the TAD/TDY location. Transport costs, which represent a business expense in this situation, are not paid out of Per Diem, but through
reimbursement of actual transportation costs incurred, and as such are unrelated to the rate of Per Diem paid, or the length of TAD/TDY.
– Employees on TAD/TDY can claim reimbursement through their travel voucher for any transportation costs incurred during their period of
TAD/TDY. This includes costs associated with transport to and from their hotel/accommodation and place of work, whether that transport is via
taxi, public transport, or private vehicle (mileage allowance).
If the participant is using a monthly pass, the upcoming month’s pass should be recalculated and reduced to reflect an adjusted amount.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search